Friday, September 20, 2013

Cha- Cha- Cha- Changes

While I have had my first rough animatic for a while, getting people to look at it and give me feedback without hearing the story first has really given me interesting result.  Some people understood my original intent, but most only got part of it or interpreted something completely different.
So on order to remedy this, I have ears advice and suggestions from a number of people, and I have worked with my friend Michelle to come up with a solution.  I am not sure I will be revising my 2D animatic to show this, but I may have to.  Either way, there are big changes to te timing and flow, and minor story changes as well.

Professor Maloney suggested I take the opposite approach and have the ray of light light up the city because the lighthouse broke and a ship was heading to town.  While I like that idea a lot, it is a different story.  Another friend say the light as the firs evening star, lighting up the town but getting frustrated at the human element getting in the way.

I've decided to take a different approach, where the light will first run into a cabin in the woods where it will see a candle in a cabin and try to light it up, but can't get trough the window and then gets visibly frustrated when someone else lights it.  I will then adjust the timing and acting of the scenes to really pick up the beat/flow until it gets hectic and culminates in getting zapped by the bug zapper.  I then will show the ray flickering on and off, almost out of juice as he finds a broken and well-worn lighthouse.  As he flies in to the lamp, he fizzles out to nothingness, and the I really plan to hold it like this for a long time, several seconds, before the lighthouse abruptly turns on.

So that will require more drawings, more timing, and a new animatic.  I'd love to do the new animatic in 3D, but I haven't decided if I will yet.  For now I have to fill out a production schedule and work on figuring out my milestones.  Then I can worry about the little details.

No comments: