Sunday, March 30, 2014

Texturing and Other Changes

I am finally in the final stage of development.  In these last few weeks, I will be texturing, lighting, rendering, compositing, and adding special effects, as well as color grading and finalizing my credits.  I am really excited about this film, but this quarter got off to a slow start for me thanks to an unexpected illness.  Luckily, I'm back on my feet now and ready to hit the road running.
During the short break between quarters, I worked with Michelle and Nora (Art Directors) to redefine a look for the short to get a better sense of what I want it to look like.  I am shying away from the completely photo-realistic look and trying to go with a stop-motion inspired stylization with believable textures.  I will be posting the new mood boards soon.  I also have to make adjustments to my backgrounds.  (I apologize now if anyone has seen the current backgrounds, they are only placeholders.)
One of the changes I am making is adjusting models to fit the elongated and eschewed look.  We have also pulled references from films in the 1950's to get an idea of the colors, look, and styles they used.
I wanted to share one of the images I've been working on.  While this is only a test with preliminary test lighting and a simple checkered environment, I can see the direction I am going for in this one and I really love the look of it.  I will post more soon!


No comments: